Monday, February 14, 2005

J - Valentines day

Well its 13:40 hrs and Amit was just done with his sweets distribution that he got from Hiroshima over the weekend. Shortly Yoshida-San approached me with a well decorated cake pack, I was about to ask her "where have you been over the weekend ?" because its a tradition out in Japan that people get some chocolates or cakes when they visit any faroff places.

Yoshida-san said that its valentines day !! For a moment I felt I faintly remember this word. I checked the date on watch, "Oh!! yes it is". My muddled mind couldn't comprehend, why she has to give this stuff to me. She put it "In Japan on Valentines day women give men cakes, its the tradition", I thanked her and she went about greeting and giving those rich cakes to all other colleagues.

Japanese feel very obligatory, they give back in some form or the other if they receive anything. A couple of months back my Japanese manager fell sick and was admitted into a hospital. We visited him and wished him speedy recovery and gave him some fruits and magazines. Once he recovered he presented gift coupons to all who made a visit to him at the hospital.

Having this incident back of my mind, I went back to Yoshida-san to figure out what should men be doing in return. She hesitantly replied " On shiro-day/white-day i.e., March 14th men give back gifts or chocolates from whom they received".

Well this is a unique way valentines day is celebrated in Japan.
I googled a bit to get a better insight : read this.

1 comment:

jeevagv said...

Interesting, Ram-san.