Saturday, April 16, 2005

Sakura


[ 1/200 sec , f10]

The Sakura (Cherry blossom) started blooming around my region, running from shades of light pink to white, they form quite a hotspot . I planned to move around to Matsumoto and the hills around but thats when it struck me, do I need to travel that far ? when all I intend was to shoot Macro. To be honest I was bit lazy to travel, so I jumped onto my bicycle and rallied towards Shinsu-sky park (3Kms from my residence).


[ 1/200 sec , f16]

I hardly got as far as 200 mts that I bumped into a sakura garden. It was 0800hrs and hardly anyone around, I started with my assignment. Playing around with the DOF(depth of field),I started at f10 and worked my way up till f16, thats when the shutter speeds started dropping below 1/60 for the best exposure, which would induce an element of shake when handheld.So I could not try anything above f16.


[ 1/200 sec , f10]

I was rather not pleased with any of the shots, but the object of the day's shootout was met, I learnt a bit about the DOF with the Macro Lense. But some old habits die hard I only realized at the end of the shoot that I am still with the Manual Mode when I was asked to switch to the Aperture Priority mode.
Well I have figured out a logical excuse to the use of Manual Mode : When I have all the time in the world to compose my shot I would stick to M mode but when my subject is fast moving and want a control over the DOF then for sure I will switch to A mode.

[1/80 sec , f16]

Let me generalize the learning of the day till I find it convincingly fallible. On a Macro Lense the average DOF should be greater than f16 for a decent composition of flora.

Camera : D70
Lense : Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Macro 1: 1
Tripod : No


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bojanki,

I think you have got the message from these pics. Yes, for macro or closeups, you need a very good DOF (f16 +)and proper composition of the subject (which you have done). And most important of all, a sturdy tripod, without which macro/close-up work is almost next to impossible.

And another important point is, always shoot macro subjects in overcast weather and never in direct sunlight. If there is direct sunlight on the subject, use a diffuser. Well, your images is not in direct light, but thought of mentioning it as a learning tip for others.

g'luck!

Sudhir

Ram Prasad Bojanki said...

Sudhir,

Thank you for the valuable advice, especially wrt the Overcast shooting conditions.
wrt the tripod ., I have ordered it and waiting for its arrival.
I wil try to implement the suggested in my next assignment.

ciao
Bojanki.

Ram Prasad Bojanki said...

I received your greetings ;-)
Thankyou Sole.
ciao Bojanki.