Friday, April 01, 2005

Vizag Times : Borra Caves


Borra Caves, located 90 Kms to the ~North of Visakhapatnam(Vizag) in the Aruku Valley Region. These caves are more than a million year old. There are innumerable stalactites. The caves are some 900mts above the sea level.




All my childhood I been hearing about these caves but it took me 20 long years to make it to this awesome place. The caves are prefectly lit to give the desired visual impact. Since we reached Borra late in the evening around 1600Hrs, we hardly had an hour to go through the whole place, as after 1700Hrs or so they are going to power down.


A photographer can put his imagination to test. Though I throughly enjoyed my parents and mamajis company, they are so over protective of me and my cousin they went on cautioning, every stone we stepped and every rock we climbed. We felt so pampered time and again.

The funniest event of the day was when some visitors mis-judged me for a photographer who makes his living by shooting visitors at Borra.

These caves are so vast that its worth all the travel. Legend has it that this place was discovered by accident by a shepard who went in search of his cattle that fell through one of the cave holes. December tends to be the best season to visit this place as its lush green.

When I mailed these snaps to some of my friends. One of them came back asking : "where is this place Borra in India ? Kerala?".


If Andhra Pradesh does a better packaging of Vizag then for sure it can turn out as one of the top tourist destinations. For information on travel checkout at AP Tourism

No comments: