Saturday, April 02, 2005

Vizag Times : Aruku Tribal Dance

Aruku Valley is 100Kms away from Visakhapatnam(Vizag).I along with my parents,mamayya and cousin vinod set out on a trip to Aruku Valley and Borra Caves. We booked for the AP Tourism Rail-cum-Road sightseeing.The train pulled out of the Vizag Station at around 8A.M. The guide gave an account of the days schedule. I munched the garama garam Idly Vada that were served in the train. An hour latter the train started it ascent, I was all set to capture the valley to its best, so I moved to the door and awaited for the greens. The train meandered through the hills and the tunnels.



My date with viridity took the blunt when the guide remarked that the best season to view the valley is in December and not on the onset of these summer months. With nothing much to do I need to figure out a subject and that was none other than her majesty the train itself. Bending to get the best of the shot while my father and mammayya holding me by my collar was the game of the day till we reached Aruku.




The train moved on towards kirandol as we logged onto a coach at Aruku railway station. The altitude was 900mts above sea level. Our first spot was a kind of Botanical Gardens with some tree top houses. Then we moved onto Tribal Museum which gave a modest insight into the tribals lives. My cousine tried some mis-chief with a doll and was caught on the wrong foot, I guess his blood pressure levels where all time high till he got the doll back in place. A hearty lunch at the AP Tourism Center was what we were blessed with. The after lunch session was marked by a Tribal Dance performed by some locals/tribals in the AP Tourism Center premises. I just went clicking and clicking till the visitors joined the dance.



It was 1.5/2 hours journey to Borra Caves. Enroute we hit the Gaali Konda View point. I tried a panoramic shot, it came out fine but with out the greenery the effect is lost, then we passed by some coffee plantations and hit the Borra Caves. Evening tea and snacks got some life to some poor souls. The return journey to vizag started in the bus and it was around 8:30PM when we were back home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i have travelled many times by the Araku line upto Jagdalpur. i remember the tea they serve in earthen pots. there used to be no food available in the stations after Araku. it was an interesting journey but very tiring as i start in Vizag in the morning and reach my destination of Barsur in the forests of Bastar at late night. we were working on an hvdc convertor station there. i've seen the tribal festivals in the forest...people will gather in their hundreds...eat, drink, chatter, fornicate, shop,
those were different days...with their own compensations....and fun...but i'd trade those days for the present gladly....